Monday, September 19, 2016

Peru - Week One

Hola! This past week has been crazy, amazing, sad, exciting and many other things. I don't even know where to start.... Ok so we went to the airport and we had the opportunity to call home. But I couldn't get the stupid phones to work. I tried using my calling card, my debit card and nothing worked. I was running all over the airport to try to find a phone that worked. I was almost dripping in sweat. But then I said a prayer and I went to find my other missionaries to tell them that I was going to wait by our gate for the plane. One of the sister missionaries asked if I had talked with my family and I told her no. She had gotten the phone to work so she sacrificed her time to talk with her family to let me talk with mine. That was an answer to my prayer. Here is a great scripture about prayers. 3Nephi 27:29 – Therefore, ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you; for he that asketh, receiveth; and unto him that knocketh, it shall be opened. I love that. It’s so true. If it’s important to you, it’s important to the Lord. So then we arrived in Peru about 6am. It took us 2.5 hours to drive across the city to get to the mission home. When we got there we met our companions. My companion is Elder Salazar; he lives in Piura, Peru. And he knows a little English and I know a little Spanish. So we often talk using my dictionary. Haha so that’s pretty fun! But I love it! The drivers here are absolutely crazy. They are the worst drivers I've ever seen. They don’t yield to you, you yield to them. Haha, so I've almost been hit a couple times..... Oh and our apartment is interesting..... Haha, you'll know why from the pictures. Oh and I definitely think that I'll get fat here. The food is so good and they feed you so much! And you have to eat all of the food they give you, because it’s rude if you don't eat all of it. I've eaten somethings that I don't necessarily like, but I have to eat them. Green beans, bananas and a lot of tomatoes. But for the most part it is super good! Rice, potatoes, chicken, beans and that’s primarily what we eat! We have a lady make our lunch and breakfast. She is a very good cook! Oh and I finally got to try Inca Kola!! It’s amazing!!!!! But I'm not going to get fat because of three things.

  1. We do a ton of walking
  2. I exercise everyday by doing a lot of sit-ups, pushups and my comp and I ran for the first time today. Yeah I don't think he likes running.
  3. Because I burn a lot of calories during my shower trying to stay warm.

Yes I have cold showers.... But I love it; at least I get to take a shower. But I wish I could take a picture of the facial expressions during it! Sorry I can't write more..... I've gotta go! I'll try to write more next week!!

Elder Tyler Farnsworth
Tyler with his companion Elder Salazar












2 comments:

  1. That's incredible. It's great to hear how upbeat he is in the midst of the shock he's undoubtedly feeling as well. The Lord is with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's incredible. It's great to hear how upbeat he is in the midst of the shock he's undoubtedly feeling as well. The Lord is with him.

    ReplyDelete