Monday, January 22, 2018

Lima (LaMolina) Peru – Week 4

Hola Buenos Días,

How are all of you? Haha I hope that you're all enjoying the snow and cold up there. Haha because it is just the opposite here. It is hot and sweaty. But the good news is that I haven't gotten sunburned yet because I put on sunscreen. Haha but my comp on the other hand who is whiter than I am did get burned the other day. But let me just tell you that the missionary tan lines are back and worse than last year! Haha the struggle is real.

This last week was a great week even though we had lots of inconveniences. We were able to learn a lot from them to be able to make changes for the coming weeks. That's the greatest part about the mission, I learn new things every single day. And all the time it blows my mind what I learn. It’s so cool!

One of the things that I love about being a ZL or DL is doing the baptismal interviews. Basically, what I do is ask the person that has been taught by the missionaries a series of questions to see their knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ, to see if they're keeping the commandments and most importantly their testimony. The people pass their interviews according to the spirit. So, in reality, I'm just being an instrument in the hands of the Lord to see if this person is ready to make the baptismal covenants. And I've had the opportunity to do several of these. Last week I did another one which was really great. It was with a 19-year-old girl who had grown up in the catholic church and had been actively participating in it. And she came to know the church and wanted to be baptized in about a month. She was so excited to be there in the interview and to be able to make the decision to change her life, And as I was in the interview with her I was able to see the testimony in her. And I was able to help her understand some more things. Because her family wasn't in agreeance with her decision to leave the catholic church and be baptized. And she was struggling with that. Because she respects her family, but then again, she had received an answer to her prayers about the Restoration and the baptism. So, I was able to help her feel better and more confident about it. And I felt prompted to promise her as a representative of Jesus Christ that her family would be baptized. I told her that it probably wouldn't be today or next week, but that it'll happen. And I when I say that I told her these things, they weren't my words. I was 100% guided by the spirit to tell her those things.

Last Sunday in church a member that works in the MTC here in Lima gave a talk. It was a really great talk. He shared a quote that I really like.

     When obedience ceases to be an irritant and becomes our quest,
     in that moment God will endow us with power.
     Ezra Taft Benson

I just really like that, because it’s so true. Not only here in the mission but also in our everyday lives. If we strive to the best of our ability to keep the commandment's we will have strength to overcome temptations and to become better people. Because God wants us to be happy and if we show Him that we want to do His will, he'll help us do it.

Well something that I've learned here in my area is that more people than I thought know English. Often time my companion and I talk in English, and one time we were in the copy store saying that it'd probably be cheaper to go to the other store. The lady said, "no this is the cheapest place." We just laughed because this is my only area where the people speak English. It is a wealthier and more educated area.

Well I love you all and hope that you have an amazing week!

Elder Farnsworth


No comments:

Post a Comment